If you’ve been fortunate enough to watch “Tashi & the Monk”, then you’ll know about Jhamtse Gatsal, the incredible community, school and home that has been created in northeast India for 90 children ranging in age from toddler to adolescent. The children in the community are those in greatest need from nearby villages. They all come from impoverished families, they may be orphans, and they are typically malnourished and neglected. Each one has a background of adversity. The goal of Jhamtse Gatsal is to provide these children with better lives, helping them to achieve their fullest potential and to become good human beings. The founder, and former Buddhist Monk Lobsang Phunksok, who trained under the guidance of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, has instilled in the teachers, amalas and children the three pillars of intelligent mind, kind heart and healthy body and these values permeate their learning and life. This is a truly unique opportunity to raise funds for the education and care of these children, and to stay in their community and work alongside them to build new residences for the students and teachers. The experience is combined with a wildlife safari and some wonderful sightseeing to discover the beautiful landscapes and rich culture of this unique, ethnically Tibetan, region of India.
Vital Challenge Stats:
- 6 days, departs Delhi on 05 March 2017
- Grade: Introductory
- Accommodation: 6 nights hotel, 5 nights shared accommodation at Jhamtse Gatsal community and 2 night eco‐camp
- Make lasting connections with the Jhamtse Gatsal Children’s Community
- Help construct a new greenhouse to grow vegetables and increase self-sustainability at Jhamtse Gatsal Children’s Community.
- Joining Delhi: USD$2350 / CAD$2990
- Non refundable registration fee: USD$200 / CAD$280
- Single Supplement: USD$420 / CAD$620
- Jhamtse Gatsal Children’s Community Fee: USD$250 / CAD$330
- Minimum charity donation: USD$2500 / CAD$3500
What is the challenge:
- You will directly raise charitable donations within your community to help support the Jhamtse Gatsal Children’s Community with its capital campaign and its goal of self-sufficiency.
- You will be part of a construction group that will build a large greenhouse at the Community
- You will trek in the beautiful and remote Himalaya’s in the state of Arunachal Pradesh, India
For more information call or contact:
- Donna Lawrence, Huma Challenge (Tel: 1-613-241-4346; firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Jeff Jenner, Jhamtse Canada (Tel: 416-819-9925; email@example.com)
- Mark Foley, Jhamtse International (US) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Judith Webster, Jhamtse Switzerland (Tel: +41 22 366 0948; email@example.com)
- Vasudha Wanchoo, Jhamtse Gatsal (India) (firstname.lastname@example.org)